Monday, May 24, 2010

Web Developer?

I've learned Java, but I've decided to chuck Java and not deal with it anymore as it all around just a pain to deal with.





Anyways, I've recently done a search on Careerbuilder.com about webmaster/developer jobs. Pay (in my area) is around 35k-50k a year. But they require you to know CSS, JS, HTML, and many more.





Some have even gone to the extent of you knowing Java AS WELL. What I do not get is in my area purely Java Devs can make around 80k a year. But web dev jobs that are hiring will pay 30k less for an EXPERIENCED Java dev (in my mind that is a rip off).





So can anyone tell me why companies are doing this?





I was thinking about getting a job in web dev but they require many skills such as CSS (no problem), JS (no problem) but then many require Python, C#.





Is it really worth learning all these additional skills to be a web dev?





Thanks

Web Developer?
I make my living as an independent web developer.





I learned all the things you have listed, and learned on my own. I have built and manage a dozen sites. I can work with every major software component of development, graphics, audio, animation, interface code....





I look around the landscape, and more than half the highly paid corporate developers I have encountered know the barest minimum. If their company has a website with three or four features, they have a borg plugged into each feature. The others know nothing of that person's job, and he/she nothing of theirs.





I have met very few people in the field who learn out of curiosity, or because they really want to explore the medium and develop new ideas. It's all about cubicles and over-specialization.





In the corporate world, web development is a very boring job.





As an independent you won't make as much, but you'll have more interesting work.





But you do need to know just about everything from media to IT to do it.





Is it worth it to you?

daylily

No comments:

Post a Comment