Saturday, May 22, 2010

Installing Ubuntu 8.04 to a partition?

I want to install the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04; Hardy Heron) to a partition of my hard drive, but the installer in the LiveCD environment does not describe them as C and D, but things similar to dev/sda (I can't remember exactly, but it's something like that)--how am I meant to know which is D? I would just risk it if I had a means of reinstalling Vista if I screwed it up, but my laptop did not come with a Vista installation disc; it was preinstalled.

Installing Ubuntu 8.04 to a partition?
you want to make a new part, so when you get to that point to partition pick manual, you will need


512-1024 for swap


7,000 - 10,000 for /


and the rest use for /home





leave the ntfs part alone, now you should have a dual boot system
Reply:There are no drive letters in Linux, so there are no such things like C, D, E etc. Use automatic partitioning or manually as megasparks explained.





Partitions look like this:


first one /dev/hda1


second one /dev/hda2, or


/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 etc.


You can also guess which one is it by looking at partition size. Check in Vista size of C partition.





But my personal opinion would be to leave Vista. Why would you install Ubuntu? I use it, it's great for me. But what will you get by using it. If you would like to try it, I suggest to install it under Vista first like any regular program so you can decide and uninstall it later if you change your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment