Friday, July 31, 2009

Video game design?

I am 15 and i was wondering about video game design. I have Blitz3d which uses BASIC and im attemting to learn C++, I have Dev c++ for that. I think it is all interesting but i want to know how to go about a game carreer? I guess what I mean is like what colledges are good, what computer languages to learn if any for design. And if an insanely good drawying skill is required? I am a very good artist though, just curious. Thanks :)

Video game design?
I've had friends apply to Electronic Arts before, so here's a few things that they look for. Basically, you'll need a degree in Computer Science to get your foot in the door more or less. You'll need to have a good understanding of mathematics. In particular, you should read up on matrix algebra because it's used everywhere in 3D graphics.





They want people who know C/C++ and know libraries like OpenGL.





As far as drawing skills, it depends what part of video game design you want to do. There are many different positions, roles, and skills required for the entire game design process. We have story writers, graphics artists, programmers, project managers, audio engineers, etc. There are definitely positions for people who have no drawing skills at all.





I would recommend going to different video game companies, and look at their job postings to get an idea of what they're looking for. You should also consider colleges which have intern/co-operative education contacts with video game companies.


No comments:

Post a Comment